- Planning and Development
- Amendments Zoning and Building Code
Amendments to the Zoning and Building Code
PROPOSALS TO AMEND THE ZONING CODE/BUILDING CODE
As part of their annual review of the Zoning Code in 2022, the Planning Commission recommended 1) proposed Zoning Text Amendments to Part Eleven – Zoning Code of the Codified Ordinances of Cleveland Heights Regarding Private Parking Garages, Driveway Widths, Fences, Window Transparency, Rain Barrels and Gardens, Non-Conformities, Public Notice Requirements, Fees, and General Changes to Ensure Consistency and 2) amending Part Thirteen, Building Code, of the Codified Ordinances of Cleveland Heights to update the City’s regulations regarding rain barrels and gardens, and general changes to ensure consistency. This was presented to Council at the January 16, 2023 Committee of the Whole meeting. At that meeting Council was supportive of moving forward, but requested some additional examination regarding parking and driveway widths. Proposed legislation was prepared by staff as Ordinances No. 025-2023 and 026-2023. These had first reading on February 21, 2023 and referred to the Planning Commission for review and recommendation.
ZONING-CODE AMENDMENT PROCESS (see Chapter 1119 of the Zoning Code)
- Introduction of amending ordinance to Council (Section 1119.02) – Completed February 21, 2023.
- Referral to Planning Commission for consideration and recommendation. The Commission shall be allowed a reasonable time, not less than thirty (30) days, nor more than sixty (60) days for its consideration and recommendations (Section 1119.03) – Completed February 21, 2023.
- Planning Commission consideration and recommendation at regularly-scheduled meeting or special meeting or workshop – all open to the public to watch (Section 1119.04) – Scheduled for March 8, 2023.
- Public hearing by Council, including appropriate noticing (Section 1119.05).
- Action by Council. After the public hearing Council shall either adopt or deny the recommendation of the Planning Commission (Section 1119.06).
- If Council grants its final approval to the amendment, the amendment becomes effective 30 days later.
DOCUMENTATION REGARDING THE PROPOSED AMENDMENTS
- Memorandum from the Planning Director to Council dated February 14, 2023 (PDF)
- Ordinance No. 025-2023, Proposed Amendments to the Zoning Code (PDF)
- Proposed Zoning Text Amendments (PDF)
- Ordinance No. 026-2023, Proposed Amendments to the Building Code (PDF)
- Proposed Building Code Amendments (PDF)
- Planning Commission Annual Review Resolution dated December 14, 2022 (PDF)
Please send any comments or questions concerning the proposed amendments using the form below.