Cold snaps and heat waves are fairly common in our area of the country. They can be very deadly and challenging.
Dangerous Winter Weather Terms
- Blizzard Warning: Wind gusts greater than 35 mph, along with snow, are expected
- Freezing Rain: Rain that freezes on contact with surfaces
- Frost/Freeze Warning: Temperatures expected to drop below freezing
- Sleet: Rain that freezes before it hits the ground
- Winter Storm Warning: A Winter storm is occurring or will begin soon
- Winter Storm Watch: A winter storm is possible in the area
Prepare for dangerous winter weather by stocking up on food and water, securing back-up heat sources, and securing shelter.
Dangerous Summer Weather Terms
- Heat Cramps: Muscle pains due to exertion-first sign of heat-related problems
- Heat Exhaustion: Mild form of shock brought on by heat
- Heat Index: How hot it feels
- Heat Stroke: Life-threatening condition occurring when the body’s temperature control system shuts down
- Heat Wave: Period of extreme heat and high humidity
During periods of high heat stay indoors in air conditioning as much as possible. Wear sunscreen when outdoors. Drink plenty of water.