About HPO, Grants & Funding Programs
The Housing Preservation Office (HPO) offers various programs to assist Cleveland Heights homeowners/residents with Lead Based Paint problems including City violation repairs to their homes. The loans and grants provided through HPO are publicly funded by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. HPO conducts qualification vetting, initial inspections, writes repair specifications, hires contractors and manages the repair process for the home owner and all the funding associated with each project.
Because of Federal Funding, initial requirements of all participants using these programs, are gross incomes, federally established limits based on family size; homes with children 5 years or younger living or visiting more than 59 days a year or 6 hours per week. Applicants must also be owner/occupants or an owner with eligible renters. Income guidelines are updated each year For more information, please contact Lori Sanford by email or 216-291-4869.
Programs for Seniors and the Permanently Disabled
- Senior Home Repair Grant - Paint and Violation Repair Program. Owner-occupants at least 62 years of age or totally disabled residing at the property at least five (5) years may be eligible for a grant of up to $4,500 annually; $9000 lifetime maximum with a 7-year waiting period between uses of any amount of this grant; to be applied towards labor and materials for painting and for corrections of exterior violation repairs. A licensed Lead Paint contractor must be used. Gross income must be below the federally established limits.
Programs for Income Eligible Households
- Violation Repair Program - Owner-occupants residing at the property at least five (5) years may be eligible for assistance for corrections of exterior violation repairs. Up to $4500 lifetime maximum. Gross income must be below the federally established limits.
Programs for Major Home Rehabilitation
- Deferred Loan Program - Owner-occupants at least 62 years of age or totally disabled residing at the property at least five (5) years who meet the Gross Income Limits may be eligible for a loan of up to $35,000 secured by equity in the property. Funds must be used to correct interior and exterior Lead-Based Paint hazards, all cited violations repairs then any remaining funds may also be used to make general upgrades and home improvements to the entire property. . No monthly payment required. Loan is paid when title is transferred. 2.5% interest for first 5 years of the loan. For more information, please call 216-291-4869.
- Zero Interest Loan - At least five (5) year Owner-occupants who meet the Gross Income Limits may be eligible for a one-time loan of $8500 to $35,000 secured by equity in the property. No age limitations. Funds must be used to correct interior and exterior Lead-Based Paint hazards, all cited violation repairs then any remaining funds may also be used to make general upgrades and home improvements to the entire property. Payments calculated based upon no interest and maximum 15 years. For more information, please call 216-291-4869.
|2023 Income Limits*
Download and view the Program Summary Chart (PDF)
Home Repair Resource Center
Another very important resource for Cleveland Heights homeowners is the Home Repair Resource Center (HRRC), a non-profit organization established to maintain and strengthen the houses of Cleveland Heights. The City of Cleveland Heights encourages homeowners to utilize the various housing assistance programs offered through HRRC. In addition to HRRC's loan programs for repair projects up to $10,000, the organization also provides 'do-it-yourself' repair assistance and a Resource Library that provides repair guidelines as well as information on contractors that have done work for other Cleveland Heights homeowners.
- Down Payment Assistance Program - Low to moderate Income home purchase down payment assistance (second mortgage). Please visit the Home Repair Resource Center for more information.
For more information, visit the HRRC programs website or call 216-381-6100.